CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY OTHER BLOG »

Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Offseason

July first has arrived. Today is the day that NBA teams can begin to court free agents. Of course, if you don't think organizations have been in under-the-table discussions with players' agents for weeks, you are a bit naive as to how things are done in the NBA.

Now that the free agent market is officially open for business, I'd like to make some predictions about the Jazz's free agents, as well as some of the other high-profile FA's in the league.

Utah Jazz

Free Agents: C Kyrylo Fesenko (restricted), G Wesley Matthews (restricted), F Carlos Boozer (unrestricted), F/G Kyle Korver (unrestricted)


The Jazz sent qualifying offers to both Wesley Matthews and Kyrylo Fesenko, meaning that they can match any offer either player receives.  I don't particularly like being in this position.  To me it means that the Jazz are really hoping to keep them both (especially Wes), but if that's the case -- why not try and get something worked out and in the books before July 1st?  Now we're at the mercy of other teams.  This is what happened last season with Paul Millsap, and the same thing happened a year earlier with CJ Miles.  CJ signed an offer sheet with OKC, and the Jazz matched.  Paul signed an offer sheet with Portland, and the Jazz matched.  The frustrating thing about this is that CJ ended up getting overpaid, and some argue that Paul Millsap did as well.  I think Millsap is worth every penny he's making and more, but his contract did hurt us last year because Portland intentionally made it a very front-loaded deal (meaning Paul makes more in the first year of the contract than he will for the other 3 years).  It put us over the cap and we had to give up Maynor and Brewer in cost-cutting moves.

My guess is that we will end up re-signing both of these players, but don't be surprised if someone else makes them an offer first.

As for Korver, I think the writing is pretty much on the wall.  Sad to say it, but I think he's gone.  When the Jazz drafted Gordon Hayward -- a guy who plays Kyle's postion, and has a similar skill-set -- they basically were broadcasting to the fan base that they had no intention of going after Korver.  The reality is, I don't think we can really afford him.  Several teams will be interested after Kover set a new record for 3-Point % in a season.  The Jazz should have calculated how much revenue will be lost now that no more pink Kyle Korver jerseys will be sold.  I'd imagine the Jazz's female fanbase will take a significant hit.  Joking aside, I really like Korver and I'll be sad if he goes.  He's been a great player and always given 100%, and what's more, he's been a huge part of the community.

And then there's Boozer.  Oy vey.  Reports indicate that the Jazz are making it a priority to bring him back...  Are you kidding me?!  Look.  Boozer is capable of being a dominant PF in this league.  But the fact is, he is not the answer for the Jazz.  I don't want to spend a lot of time making a case against Boozer, so I'll just say this.  You can't do the same thing over and over and over and expect a different result.  If the Jazz re-sign him, Boozer will miss a significant number of games over a 5 or 6 year contract, the Jazz will win between 45 and 50 games each year, consistently lose to the Lakers, probably make the playoffs (but without home-court), and more than likely exit in the first round.  And the sad thing is, I'm pretty sure the front office is just fine with that.

One idea that I've heard tossed around is to work out a sign & trade with Boozer.  The scenario is that the Jazz sign Boozer and immediately trade him to Orlando for Marcin Gortat + either JJ Redick or Ryan Anderson.  Works for me.  Gortat is probably the best back-up center in the league, and could start on a lot of teams.  His number won't wow you, but remember he's playing behind Dwight Howard.  He would bring a 6'11" defensive player with deep playoff experience to the team.  Redick could fill the role of the departing Korver (the basketball role -- not the heart throb role).  But this is just one of many rumors that are floating around.

LeBron James


The hype surrounding
his free agency has been almost as obnoxious as Kobe's angry under-bite face.  But I'm not convinced... My guess is, in the end, he'll end up signing with Cleveland.  I just don't really see him abandoning his home state and the fans who love him.  However, if he does decide to leave, I think New York is his most likely destination.

Dwayne Wade

I know this is going to sound boring, but I don't think he's going anywhere either.  I think he'll continue to be part of the Miami Heat, and possibly end up playing his entire career there.


Chris Bosh

I think he's Miami bound.  Just a feeling I've got, but I think he and Wade will team up.

So there -- that's what I think.  We'll see how it all plays out over the summer.

1 comment:

Paul said...

I really don't care if Korver goes or Boozer. However, keeping D-Will happy is a priority. That may be a factor in the Jazz going after Boozer publicly. That way, even when he leaves, D-Will can't say they didn't try. If the Jazz can't pull off something though I'm afraid D-Will be get mad and want to leave ASAP as well. I know that's in a few years, but still he is the guy we need to keep happy. So if that means keeping Boozer that's fine be me. That sign and trade deal with Orlando would be awesome, but unlikely to happen.