CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY OTHER BLOG »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Inner Conflict...

Now, I am conflicted. I have ALWAYS rooted against BYU no matter who they are playing. This is largely due to the fact that I can’t stand smug BYU fans*. But I am torn because Utah only has 2 ranked teams on their schedule: TCU (currently # 24) and BYU (currently # 11). If TCU loses this week (likely-- see below), that only leaves the Cougs. If they lose a game, Utah won’t have ANY ranked opponents. This would greatly lessen Utah’s chances at busting the BCS (aka Bull-Crap-System). So, as much as it PAINS me to do so, I hope that BYU remains undefeated** until the November 22nd faceoff. I won’t object, however, to seeing the Cougs barely squeak out a couple of games in the mean time. That could at least shut some mouths.

A key game for the MWC and Utah’s strength-of-schedule will take place this Saturday when TCU takes on #2 Oklahoma University. IF by some miracle, TCU can go in and win that game, that would be huge. Of course it wouldn’t do the Utes any good if we don’t beat TCU later this season. Still, here’s hoping the Horned-Frogs can go in and get the upset-of-the-year!

* Please note that this does not include ALL BYU fans -- just smug ones. There are many Y fans that are great to talk sports with, and don't give off that arrogantness that really gets under my skin. Pat, for example, is the kind of BYU Fan that I have no problem with.

** UNLESS Utah loses a game, in which case, I will go back to my old ways of hoping BYU loses every game they play.

3 comments:

mary plus vince said...

that really is a conflict!! i just cannot stand the smuggness (is that a word?) of the cougs (hehe). with their "doing the right thing, on & off the court" attitude (and by the way... by him saying that, he ISN'T doing the right thing. that is called PRIDE. pretty sure pride is something we frown upon. For examples: read the BOM).

but, if they continue to win, it helps us... but only if WE continue to win. go utes!

Paul said...

Dude, I understand your concern about the strength of schedule thing, but the 2004 Utes schedule didn't feature anyone who was ranked in the top 25 and they still made it to the Fiesta Bowl. However, they did beat Texas A&M, Arizona, and North Carolina three BCS schools and wiped out everyone they played. They scored 63 points twice.
Boise State had a weaker schedule than ours now in 2006 and made the BCS and Hawaii's only quality opponent last year was Boise State, and they also made it.
I'm confident that if we win every game, we'll make the BCS regardless of what TCU or BYU does. Thus, I never ever ever want BYU to win-period. My passion against BYU has only grown. The luck will not always be on their side no matter how much they read their scriptures. Go Utes and die BYU.

Brandon and Stacey said...

I think both teams being undefeated would make for an amazing rivalry game. The Utes are fortunate to play TCU and BYU at home this year.
Just send BJ an email and tell him to hold on to the ball.