CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY OTHER BLOG »

Monday, September 29, 2008

Utah vs. Weber State -- 9/27/2008

Let me just set the record straight...

I am tired of people making a big deal over the fact that Weber State scored 3 touchdowns against Utah on Saturday. Mostly it's people who weren't at the game. Since it wasn't televised, unless they listened to it on the radio (unlikely), they do not know how the game played out. I was there, so please allow me to tell you.

The score was 34-7 near the end of the 3rd quarter when Coach Whittingham decided to pull his starters. Utah played the rest of the game with our 2nd units on offense and defense. The offense moved the ball ok, and put up another 3 points. The defensive 2nd unit, however, was not as good. SO, it was in the 4th quarter, against our 2nd string, with the game well in hand, that Weber scored 2 of their 3 touchdowns. Another point that I'd like to make is that the officials basically gift-wrapped Weber's third touchdown on a pass-interference call that was completely ridiculous. If not for that call, Weber would have had to settle for a field goal.

In a public forum that I read, some Cougar fans commented saying, " How much more out of focus can you get than to let a D-2 school score 3 TD's on you?" Idiots. First of all, Weber is not a D-2 school. They are Division I-AA. Kind of like, oh, I don't know, Northern Iowa for example. Are the Cougars really that much better, having let NIU score 2 TD's and a field goal? And, I might mention that this occurred against BYU's starters -- not their 2nd unit.

Ok, so that's my soap-box -- like it or not.