CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY OTHER BLOG »

Sunday, September 6, 2009

College Football Kickoff Weekend

College football is finally here! After 8 months of anticipation and speculation, the season has finally begun.

The Utah game was about what I expected it to be. It was sloppy at times, but overall I saw good things. Terrance Cain appears to be a very capable QB, and I think he will improve as the season goes on. The play calling was conservative by design. It was meant to make Cain feel comfortable. I also think it was a smart move -- Why open up the playbook in the season opener when you don't need to? With tougher games coming up down the road, the coaches knew that a conservative game plan was the way to go.
The MWC made a lot of noise during the off-season. We are trying to gain respect and work our way towards inclusion in the BCS. We have several opportunites to make our case stronger this season. Here are the games that feature MWC teams vs BCS opponents:


BYU has already shaken things up with their win over Oklahoma last night (I have more to say on this game... later). TCU has a chance to make a statement against the ACC with games against Virginia and Clemson. Utah takes on Oregon, the only team that looks to challenge USC for the PAC-10 this year. Wyoming takes on Texas, who many have projected to play in the NC game. I think that if the MWC wants to be taken seriously, we need to win at least two-thirds of these games. That means that it can't just be Utah, TCU, and BYU. Some other MWC teams will have to start pulling their weight.

College football is one of my favorite times of the year, and I look forward to another great season of Utah Utes football!

1 comment:

Paul said...

I was watching California play last night and they were ahead 31-0 against Maryland. So they may give USC a challenge. Oregon played awful against Boise State. I think Utah will have to jump on them early up there to win that game. It's going to be a tough one. Sadly, even if we do well against those teams I don't think true respect will come for years and years of doing it. People still tell me that Utah's BCS runs were a fluke. The mtn tv deal also hurts MWC credibility. That was just stupid all around....anyway thanks for posting Vince I always like reading what you've got to say. Go Utes!
PS-what are those "FUSS" shirts about? Are they former MUSS?