CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY OTHER BLOG »

Friday, September 18, 2009

The Utes So Far

I have to say that I have been a little uncomfortable during both of our games so far. In the USU game, the second half was much better, but the SJSU game really could have been a disaster. Then again, it also could have been a blow out. We made some mistakes that cost us points, and I think it was more a case of us shooting ourselves in the foot than SJSU outplaying us. It's hard to guage this year's team based on the two games we've seen so far, but I have three areas of concern:
  1. Turnovers. 3 against Utah State and 2 against SJSU (actually three if you count turning the ball over on downs -- which I do.) I think we need to really focus on this. We have to take care of the ball. You can get away with it against lesser WAC opponents, but if we don't get this fixed, teams like Oregon, TCU, and BYU (heck, maybe even AFA or CSU) will make us pay.
  2. Pass coverage. We gave up a big pass play to USU, and a few of them to SJSU. Fortunately Oregon's strength is not the passing game, but that doesn't mean they can't burn us there. We have to do a better job keeping up witht he WR's. And it's not just the corners' responsibility. The pass rush has been pretty unimpressive thus far, and I am a believer in the addage "The key to a good secondary is a great pass rush".
  3. Goal line offense. We've been stood up inside the one yard line twice in as many games. I really have to question the play calling: 1st down -- Asiata direct snap. 2nd down -- Asiata direct snap. 3rd down -- Asiata direct snap. 4th down -- you guessed it, Asiata direct snap. We did the same thing 2 weeks in a row, and I have to say, it's about as predictable as Gary Crowton. We need to try somehting else, because if USU and SJSU can stop us, it's obviously not working.

Nevertheless, I don't want this post to sound negative. We have seen some good things -- actually some great things -- so far as well. I really like Cain, and he is going to be an excellent QB. I loved seeing him take off and run -- boy can move! Asiata has been a great run threat (and I was impressed with backups Wide and Shakerin as well). Reed and Brooks are huge playmakers and fun to watch. Defensively, I think our linebacking corps has been great, not really allowing much on the ground (aside from the flukey play by USU). Our new punter seems to be really solid.

Well I'm rambling. Vote here -- what are your thoughts on the Utah vs. Oregon game?

My prediction? Utah 34, Oregon 21

1 comment:

mary plus vince said...

this happened in my life.


sports, sports, sports, sports, sports, sports, sports.